What equipment and accessories do I require to setup my café for making espresso coffee? A common question asked by many new café owners.
Here’s a quick run-down of the basic equipment and accessories required to get you started making espresso.
- Espresso machine (of course!).
- Water filter and associated lines for espresso machine.
- Associated power supply for espresso machine *see tip below.
- Refrigerator (for milk).
- Tamper: to suit your espresso machine. Most commercial espresso machines use a 58mm tamper.
- Tamp mat.
- Milk thermometer.
- 2x powder shakers for chocolate and cinnamon sprinkles.
- Timer: for timing espresso shots when calibrating machine.
- Measuring glass or small scales: for calibrating machine.
Milk jugs: we recommend the following.
- 2x 350ml jugs.
- 3x 600ml jugs.
- 1x 1l jug.
- Espresso machine cleaning powder.
- Espresso machine cleaning brush and scour pad.
- 2x small paint brushes (for cleaning coffee grinds).
- Microfiber cloths.
*Standard household and commercial wall plugs are 10-amp. Due to the large current that an espresso machine draws this requires a 20-amp (most 2-group) or 32-amp (most 3-group) power plug. This requires the work of an electrician to re-wire the power supply and install a new plug socket. It is wise to install a 32-amp power plug as this will also accommodate a 20-amp power plug.